Stay on your toes. Keep your elbows in. Don’t be afraid. You may be smaller, but just gather your courage, and when you hit, hit hard.

28 June 2011

Hurry up and wait...

Today was a pretty big step forward. In other words, G-dawg does not have to go to the hospital tomorrow!

This morning I was in clinical pathology spinning blood for the research I am helping with and I had to resist the urge the harass the clinical pathologist about Guimauve's cytology of his lymph nodes. I was almost done when who wanders in but Dr. Costa. The good news was no obvious neoplastic changes! On to the biopsy!

I was fortunate enough to meet Dr. Costa and Marcie for the biopsy. I have to say it is a little weird seeing your own dog hooked up to anesthesia and then watching them put an endoscope down his esophagus. It was pretty cool from the veterinary student standpoint!

They took several biopsies of his duodenum (the part of the small intestine right after the stomach) and several in the stomach. I even got to help take the biopsies. It is kind of interesting. The biopsy tool is a small cable that goes through a port in the endoscope. It has "pincers" at the end to take the biopsy. Dr. Costa directed the endoscope and the end of the biopsy tool and then would ask Marcie or I to pinch it and then pull the tool back out and put the biopsy in a jar for toe lab. Pretty crazy procedure to watch!

Afterwards I walked the samples to the diagnostic lab where I work and now it is just waiting until tomorrow when the pathologist can look at the biopsies under a microscope and later in the week for the blood test results...

But G-dawg is playing and is very glad to be home and eating again!

No comments: